New Resource: What Every Driver Should Know About Sharing the Road
The League of American Bicyclists and Doordash have released five new dual-language (English and Spanish) Smart Cycling videos with tips for both motorists and bicyclists. These videos cover topics such as rules of the road, how drivers can avoid common crashes, and what drivers can do to keep bicyclists safe. Check them out!
Motorists Should Not Park in Bicycle Lanes
Motorists may make turns across a bicycle lane to enter a parking space or to enter a drive-way, etc., as long as they signal their intention and yield to bicyclists.
When Parked Next to a Bicycle Lane
Motorists should always look for bicyclists before opening their car door.
Watch for bicyclists at all times
- Bicycles are vehicles and bicyclists may take the entire lane.
- Scan for bicyclists in traffic and give them the appropriate right-of-way.
- Children and novice riders can be unpredictable; expect the unexpected.
- Watch for bicyclists before opening car doors.
- Before making a turn, look in all directions for bicyclists.
- Don’t drive after consuming alcohol or other drugs.
- Don’t drive distracted, which includes the use of cell phones, other hand held devices, or other activities that take your attention away from the road while driving.
- For maximum visibility, keep your windshield clean and headlights on.
Drive the speed and avoid aggressive maneuvers
- Obey speed limits and come to a complete stop at stop signs.
- Allow extra time for bicyclists to cross intersections.
- Recognize hazards that bicyclists may face and give them space to maneuver.
Pass bicyclists with care
- Treat bicyclists as you would a slow-moving car. Don’t tailgate; wait until traffic conditions allow you to safely pass the bicyclist.
- Reduce speed when passing bicyclists and allow at least 3 feet of passing space.
- Check over your shoulder after passing a bicyclist before moving back into the lane.
- Don’t honk your horn in close proximity to bicyclists; this behavior often startles them and could cause them to crash.