Garbage & Recycling
The mission of the Solid Waste Utility is to provide high-quality solid waste collection and disposal services in a timely and effective manner to promote the safety and welfare of the City residents.
In general, this division is responsible for the collection, management, and disposal of solid waste. The Waste Department consists of 34 full-time employees working in two sections; waste collection and waste disposal.
The City of Bismarck contracts with Waste Management of ND, Inc.for collection, transportation and processing of residential recycling. Single-sort curbside recycling is offered to single family and duplex homes.
Garbage and recycling must be set out by 6:00 am, at your collection point, on your scheduled collection day. Garbage and recycling may be set out the evening before the collection day. Crews will not return to an address that were not out in time for the initial collection.
Interactive Garbage and Recycling Map: (Open map in Google Chrome) Search for your address. Click on the dot by your address. It will display the Current Garbage Pickup Day and Current Recycling Day.
Christmas Tree Collection
- Remove all lights, ornaments, and stands from the tree.
- Make sure the tree is not wrapped in any plastic or placed inside a plastic bag.
- Christmas trees will be picked up on the regular scheduled collection day
- Christmas trees will be picked up at the regular collection point
- Apartment Complexes should set Christmas trees on the boulevard for collection.
- Condos and Townhomes (3 or more units) should set Christmas trees on the boulevard for collection.
- A separate truck will collect the Christmas trees to be recycled.