Preparedness for Pets
Your pets are important members of your family. In the event of an emergency, you want to ensure they are taken care of. Leaving pets out of evacuation plans can put pets, owners and even first responders in danger.
- Prepare a disaster kit for your pet with these items
- Make sure your pet is wearing up to date tags
- Microchip your pet
- Keep a leash near a carrier or exit
- Use extra considerations for horses or farm livestock
In the event you need to stay in a hotel, finding a location that is pet friendly is key. Below are pet-friendly search tools for locations in North Dakota. Verify with the hotel prior to booking your reservation.
When Dealing with an Injured Animal
An injury or illness may cause any animal to act unpredictably. Be sure to examine any animal from a distance initially to determine if the animal is injured. Be sure to only interact with an animal if they are in a safe environment where unexpected motion will cause no injury.
- Practice safe handling of your pet -- never assume a pet won't bite or scratch
- Don't attempt to hug an injured pet
- Perform all contact slowly -- stop if your pet becomes agitated
- Wash your hands after dealing with a pet
- Get your pet to a veterinarian as quickly as possible without risking personal injury or illness
Pet Fire Safety
Pets may indirectly start fires around open flames. The American Kennel Club estimates that 500,000 pets are affected by home fires each year. Use the following tips to keep your pets and family safe:
- Extinguish open flames
- Remove knobs from stove
- Replace glass water bowls on wooden decks with metal or plastic
- Consider flameless candles for ambiance and backup lighting in the event of a power outage
- Secure pets when away from home
- Place fire alert window clings identifying the room your pets are located in
- Have a plan when you are home for who is responsible for each pet
Additional Video Resources
Crystalynn KuntzEmergency Preparedness Regional Coordinator
Kalen OstEmergency Preparedness Information Specialist
500 E. Front Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58504
P.O. Box 5503
Bismarck, ND 58504
Phone: 701-355-1540Fax: 701-221-6883